Sunday, February 20, 2011

So You Wanna Get a Tattoo? An Ethical Dilemma.

After talking to my cousin, she told me that she wanted to get a tattoo - tomorrow. Although I realize it is her personal choice to do so, I find myself in a very delicate predicament. Since I am her family and understand she is going through a very emotional time in her life right now, do I try to sway her out of it?

Several years ago, I was in a phase when I wanted desperately to get a tattoo. Although I find tattoos to be perfectly fine and a unique way of expressing yourself, it wasn't for me during that time in my life. What I wanted wasn't so meaningful to me that I wanted to sketch it on my body permanently. After a good deal of time and logical thinking, that is what I discovered and I am happy with my decision I made. That is, until I find something I would want to have marked on me forever. But until then, I am satisfied.

In many ways, where I was at during that period of my life and where she finds herself now is very similiar. I would have regretted it - will she?

I have talked myself in, and then back out, of such a decision and I see her on heading along the same path. Needless to say, it's slippery ground. It makes me wonder where the fine line is between loving someone enough to stop them from making a bad decision, or loving them enough to let them make decisions on their own. Life is just so full of those tricky choices, isnt it?

1 comment:

  1. Very true... And I hate tattoos... They used to be a weird thing for motorcycle riders and people in gangs... Now everyone gets them because it's the "cool" thing to do.. I think the body is beautiful just the way it is! Too many people are cutting it up and adding things onto it and drawing on it permanently and doing other things to it these days... It's fine as long as a person has really thought it through and knows it is something they won't regret. Personally, I love the way my skin looks naturally, and I don't feel the need to put a skull and crossbones on my boobs permanently (I actually know someone who did this)

    ReplyDelete