Thursday, April 7, 2011

What Graduates Need to Know About Finding a Job

As a few of may know, over the last several months I have hit the ground running in an attempt to get all of my professional materials ready for the job search. Early last year, I began working on a personal website to add to my job hunting materials. Unfortunately, it's not quite ready, but I'm hoping to have it up and running within the next week. Regardless, the time has come for most of us to start opening our ears to the last minute advice people have about job hunting.

As I was perusing the Twitter realm, one of my professors tweeted this article, which I felt is very beneficial for anyone considering a personal website or trying to figure out what to do with their already existing one. Being a struggling graduate myself, I felt this was very appropriate for my generation, especially with the growing expectation of digital knowledge.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/27/jobs/27search.html?_r=1&src=tptw

This second link is another article I found via Twitter. I re-tweeted it earlier today, so I apologize if you are seeing it for a second time. In addition to the first, I also found its information to be extremely helpful to almost-grads. It spells out exactly what we need to be doing and looking for in the next several months. Hopefully, this will give us the leg up when sending out our applications.

http://www.monsterthinking.com/2011/04/07/jobsearch-tips-for-new-grads-standing-out-from-the-crowd/

Although I could consider you all my "competition," I am not the type of person to hold back useful information that could help you land a job (even though I find myself in that same position myself). If you liked these articles and would like to see more, don't hesitant to send me a comment or email to let me know. I'm finding a ton of really motivating pieces that I am willing to share to people who are willing to read. So, my fellow classmates, read on and prosper! May we all have jobs come graduation!

Articles found by Dr. Elizabeth Davis, University of Georgia, (@drelizabethd) and Monster Careers (@monstercareers)

No comments:

Post a Comment